Monday, August 15, 2011

Sherwood Forest - Robin Hood Festival

We went to the Robin Hood Festival in Sherwood Forest this last weekend. The kids were so excited to meet their hero, but I don't think it was quite what they expected. After we left, Kiersten asked us, "why wasn't Robin Hood dressed like a fox?" The only Robin Hood they've ever seen is the animated version(: We'll have to read the story of Robin Hood before next year's festival, so the kids know the other characters. The kids were a little nervous to pose next to Robin Hood, Maid Marian, and Friar Tuck, but eventually everyone except Dallin joined in.

There were jesters and jousting, music and target shooting. These jesters did a trick that wasn't all that different than what I've seen the guys do in the lab - Yes, that is a plastic glove on his head (:


The kids and I really had fun trying out bows and arrows. We all met with varying degrees of success, but I don't think the kids really understood that they were trying to hit something, so they were just happy when the arrow went somewhere/anywhere.
This is a statue of Robin Hood and Little John's first meeting and fight on the bridge.
Part of the festival centered around an amazing oak tree called "The Major Oak." It is so old and hollowed out that it has about a dozen supports holding it up. Per wikipedia: "According to local folklore, it was Robin Hood's shelter where he and his merry men slept. It weighs an estimated 23 tons, has a girth of 33 feet (10 metres), and is about 800–1000 years old."
There was a fun park, plenty of trails and trees for the kids to enjoy. The area is absolutely beautiful! We were also amazed at how many dogs people brought with them. We'd heard that the English love their dogs, but I had NO idea how much. I wish I'd taken a pic, but I will in the future. Our dogs are going to LOVE it here.



No comments: